Thursday, April 9, 2009

What are your weaknesses

When a prospective employer asks, what are your weaknesses, we often think - "I don't KNOW or I don't want to tell you.

The most productive employees are extremely self-aware and intimately know their personal/professional strengths and weaknesses. As you evaluate what type of employee that you are, the first thing that you need to do is figure out what areas you are trying to "further develop" and what strategies you are utilizing to further develop those competencies or skills.

For example, let's say that a weakness is "industry knowledge" - you could communicate that you have determined that you would be an even more valuable player if you brought more specific industry knowledge and therefore you have enrolled in specific classes or have been doing extensive research, etc.

Now say that your "weakness" is your memory (this is mine). I would certainly share that this is an area that I could further develop, however, I compensate for this weakness by being EXTREMELY organized and have a routine. I have set up my workday so that it is virtually impossible for me to "forget" anything because I have "systems" in place. Actually, my systems enable me to accomplish more work in a day that most anyone I know.

As a manager, I am not very detail oriented (a weakness). One of the things that I have done through the years to address and overcome this area is to SURROUND myself with tremendously detailed people! They continually keep me on track and make me look good. They give me the ability to stay focused on the "big picture", drive the business, a be a profit powerhouse which is a strength for any employer.

As you are sharing your weaknesses, you need to bridge the gap with how you are addressing those weaknesses so that they don't become a detriment to your performance for your employer.

Your future employer will appreciate the honesty.

Xodus Advantage serves as expert partners to individuals from the time they contemplate a potential career/job change, through the planning and transition phases. We specialize in making the change process positive and practical by empowering the individual to excel in their job campaign strategies. We are committed to seeing a successful career transition.

Our job campaign services include:
Assessing the individual and their career desires
Personal/Professional Branding Strategies
Job Campaign Initiatives
Resume/Cover letter/Brag Book Portfolio Enhancements
Strategic Interview Prep/Coaching
Honing verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills
Business letter writing and follow-up strategies
Interpersonal effectiveness
Networking contacts – recruiters, companies, etc.
Offer negotiation skills

When individuals find themselves on the job market or interested in a career transition, they are typically very uncertain. It is always nice to offer them the “voice of calm” plus real-world practical strategies to accelerate their down time during the transition.

For a free 30 minute consultation, please contact:
Lori Harbeck - lori@xodusadvantage.com
Janet Blumen - janet@xodusadvantage.com

Thank you for putting Xodus Advantage on your job search team!

No comments:

Post a Comment